Thursday, June 16, 2011

Ten Tie-Free Etsy Gifts for a San Diego Dad

One of the beefs I've always had about Father's day is that it is always centered around gifts for the professional dad. Back in elementary school we decorated ties, all the advertising is about golf, fancy briefcases and so on...
What if your dad doesn't even know how to tie a tie?
What if he thinks golf is for sissies?
What if he would use a fancy briefcase to store his sandy fishing supplies?

My dad is a mechanic, an ocean-lover and a native San Diegan.

And I'm sure there are plenty of people out there with a dad like mine, so I made my very own gift list with the things I would get MY dad.

Punny Fish Card


Fish + Puns? Gold! You don't know how many Halibut jokes my dad has cracked over the years...
$3.75 from paperanniversary


Locally-Crafted Beer Candles

Bottlehood is a local company I see every Sunday at the farmer's market. They re-purpose endless varieties of bottles into candles, drinking glasses, vases and even lamps! I love the candles because they look like they're filled with beer.
$25 for two


A Play on "Padres" Tshirt
I have many a memory of my dad watching Padre's games, usually while my sisters and I bothered him to change it to cartoons. Instead of buying Padre-logo sportswear, this shirt has more of a personal edge, it translates to "Father since..." and the year is customizable!
$30 from PamelaFugateDesigns

His Dream Car


...in miniature form, of course. One year, in about 7th grade, my dad bought an old Chevelle as a project car. Red, just like this 1/24 scale model from classicwrecks! This model is specifically painted to look like a rusted old wreck, which would be perfect because the only ride I ever took in that car ended in us pushing it to the gas station.
$37.50 from classicwrecks

The Catch of the Day
My dad is an avid sports fisher and would occasionally drag us girls to boat shows. Even though seeing fish with hooks in their lips was almost enough to turn me vegetarian, I still appreciated the dinners he made from them... How's that for locally-sourced food?
$69.00 from SlippinSouthern


Beer Towels for Cleaning up... Beer Spills!
Towels are one of those things dad's (or at least my dad) just doesn't buy. He has had the same towels for YEARS. I should do him a favor and get him these beer-themed towels from NestaHome. $23.50 for a set of 4


Vintage Hubcap Clock

I imagine my dad's dream garage filled with tools and muscle cars would have this clock in it. But I'm sure if it was his dream garage, there would be no need to keep track of time, he probably would be there ALL the time!
$ 42.00 from 8milecreekdesigns


Beer Soap

When my mom's back was turned, Dad would say "Go get me a DaddyJuice!" and have us retrieve beers from the fridge for him. I think even my mom would approve of this beer though... it's soap!
2 for $14.50 from EthicallyEngineered

Fish Art Blocks
When getting Dad anything in the art-realm, I try to look for something a little less hoity-toity then a hanging painting... These wooden art blocks are perfect! You can stack them and you get to mix and match between 14 different fish. Creator johnwgolden is even having a father's day sale, 25% off all orders. $22 for a set of 7

And Finally... Another T-Shirt
Dad, I love you but... BUY MORE SHIRTS! He seriously can wear the same 5 shirts for years and years on end. So for my final gift option, this ship-in-a-bottle print from flytrap. Talk about the gift that keeps on giving. And giving and giving and giving and giving, until I get him another t-shirt. That man DOES NOT clothing shop.

I hope this list gave some gift inspiration for all those beer-drinkin', fish-lovin', car-fixin' dads out there! If you want to DIY a gift, check out my post from last Father's day, when I made a fish-themed lazy suzan. It's on his dining room table right now!

Happy Father's day!

<3 Sam

3 comments:

  1. Thanks so much!!! Cool blog :)

    Tandie
    NestaHome

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sammie!! It's Katie (in case it's hard to figure this out because of my wordpress blog profile thing-a-ma-jig lol). I had no idea you had a blog, but I'm so glad I stumbled upon it via Joe's new etsy shop. Great post! Not all dad's are the suit wearing business types, and I love how you've found some awesome things that those dad's would love and appreciate for Fathers Day!!

    Is it sad that I think my dad still has that tie/shirt card we made for Father's Day in elementary school? Apparently I was such a good artist he needed to be sure he kept it, and he proudly displayed it next to a piece of art I did in kindegarten (I think... maybe...) in the garage. Because, you know, I'm artsy like that. Too bad my art back then and art nowadays hasn't really changed much >_>

    Hope all is going well with you, it's been ages since we last talked.

    ♥ and harp strings,
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this!

    I work with AllFreeJewelryMaking and have been trying to contact you. Please email me if there is a good way to reach you. Thanks!

    Adam Kaplan
    akaplan@primecp.com

    ReplyDelete