Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Galaxy Dresses: Fashion that's Out of this World!

Here one trend I am dying to DIY:


Clockwise from left to right: Leather Fern Necklace Natalie Brown, Turquoise Dip-Dyed Hair via Tumblr, Christopher Kane Dresses, Katy Perry for Opi nail polish, Irregular Choice suede pumps via heels.com, a hunk of turquoise, McQueen leggings, C. Kane tank top (net-a-porter), and Lime Crime Eyedust.

Outerspace!
Maybe my obsession stems from the fact that I have been on a huge Dr. Who kick recently, and as such, have constellations perpetually revolving around my subconscious...
But regardless, I think I just really want the privilege of wearing the universe on my bum (it's big enough!).
I love the look of printed stars and galaxies along with leather, velvet, and of course plenty of glitter. Yet at 200 bucks a pop (just for the tank top!), I don't think I'll get my hands on Christopher Kane's designer duds anytime soon.
After scouring the web, I found some awesome cheaper alternatives to satisfy that cosmic craving:

 

Burger and Friend's "None Like it Hot" glitter dress $48, Antenna Galaxy

Black Milk's "Rainbow Galaxy" leggings $75, Andromeda Galaxy

While I would die for those leggings, they are still a bit pricey for me. So maybe I should DYE for those leggings! Get it? Get it? Dye... ha?

I'm currently researching the best way to achieve that galactic look... possibly a mixture of bleach, dye, glitter and screenprint ink?
User cervy on Craftster accomplished some celestial undies with acrylic paint, but I'm not sure how well acrylic would do on leggings or light fabric.

I think I need to just dive into it and get some trial-and-error experience. Or should I say launch into it? Blast off? Calling Major Tom? Alright enough astronaut references.

Though accomplishing a good outer-space DIY would be an achievement of astronomical proportions!

Hahaha... ACK! *gets kicked off stage*

No comments:

Post a Comment