Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Macaron Madness



















GAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

I am obsessed.

So it all began last week, with a chance wander by my local Urban Outfitters...
There was a sale on random stuff, (you know all the excess things they have there other than clothes) and as I am indeed a fan of random stuff and "the cheap" as I often call it, I decided to browse.
There was the novel Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters for 3 dolllars! An awesome travel tool kit! And this book:



Also, three dollars.

And now for the transcript of my train of thought:
It is pretty, I think to myself. AND THREE DOLLARS! Yet, I don't know what macarons are...
BUT I CAN FIND OUT!
And learn to make them.
Look how pretty! And cheap!
..But I don't even know what they taste like.
What if I don't even like them.
What a waste of 3 dollars. I could spend that 3 dollars on a can of Spam.


We ll, kind reader, that book got all the way to the register before I made the fateful decision to leave it behind.
I thought nothing of it.  At the time...

Fast forward to Sunday.
Oh, so sunny and pleasant, a perfect day to frolic through the farmer's market. As I filled my ecologically conscientious reusable bag with delectable organic locally grown peaches and potatoes, I thought to myself, I am such a good person. I then proceeded to teach some orphans how to read while saving a basket of puppies from the gutter.

As I wiped my brow after the long trek of produce-hunting, and innocence-saving, I glanced into my wallet.

One dollar left.
Well I did good, thinks I. I doubt there is anything I can get for a dollar.

Suddenly, something shimmers from the corner of my eye. I take a closer look. As I close in on the crowded counter, I can see a soft, jewel-like glow pulsing out from in between the spaces of people blocking my view.
I can sense something tender, delicious and pastel just beyond my range of vision.

A customer leaves, and BEHOLD THE GLORY! THE GLOW PULSES BRIGHT AND THE BEAUTY COMES INTO FULL VIEW.




Macarons.

Now I had no idea that they were called macarons at the time, that realization was the result of hours of furious googling I obsessively conducted after this incident.

Back to the scene.

A BEAUTY SO BRIGHT,  IT SEEMED AS IF LIGHT WAS EMANATING FROM THE DELICACIES THEMSELVES.

And they were one dollar each.

So I proceeded to purchase a pink one with powdered sugar on top.
And I proceeded to eat it.
And I proceeded to melt to the ground in joy, just as it melted into my tongue.

I cannot describe the taste. You must have it for yourself.

I instantly developed an obsession, which involved me biking to a bakery later in the day to buy more.

DAINTY, COLORFUL, WHIMSICAL, ADORABLE! I WANT TO LIVE INSIDE ONE!

I feel like I need at least one every day for the rest of my life or I might go insane.

*twitch**twitch*

Kind reader, I understand you might not fully appreciate this obsession. But reach deep into your heart and ask yourself, have you tried these yet?
If the answer is yes, I suspect we share a certain kinship.
If the answer is no, I mourn. I mourn for your soul.

-Sam

P.S. I'm also going back to UO to see if they still have that book...

1 comment:

  1. those look exactly like pretty patties! from spongebob :{D

    ReplyDelete