Sunday, March 21, 2010

Obsessed.

I resisted the Lady Gaga phenomenon so well.
I really did.
I considered her just a kooky pop singer with a few interesting costuming tricks up her sleeve. I contently went about my way, minding my own business, while friends and family rabidly chanted her lyrics while fashioning their hair into intricate bow shapes.
I was Gaga indifferent, I suppose you might say. I was neither a lover nor a hater, a rarity in the world of Gaga, because her lovers REALLY love her, and her haters REALLY hate her.

That was then.

I had the incredible misfortune to be shown the video for "Telephone" at work last week, and it has changed my life.

Okay, maybe I can be a bit overdramatic at times.
But if you haven't already, go take a look at the plethora of great (and often crazy) outfits, awesome makeup, all with a delicious neo-retro feel. (Warning: Video contains lots of semi-nudity, chick-fights, sandwich-making, breakfast poisonings and unbleeped words, if that is not your kind of thing. It is also dang catchy, and I am not responsible for any earworms you may catch.)

There is just so much great material to talk about, I can't do it all.
Here's one of my favorite Lady Gaga looks:



But aside from her (approximately) 10 different outfits I could describe, the one that really changed my life... *dramatic swoon*
was on Beyonce:





ahh..... tingle tingle. (I know it doesn't make any sense, that is just how I feel.)
Lol.

BUT
Royal blue + gold + jewel tones!
Pink lipstick!
Cluttered tastefully-tacky 1950's style kitschy trinkets!
Plastic pearls thrown about helter-skelter!
Those bangs!
Those shooooooes.



The shoes are what set me off.
Google told me that both the jacket and the shoes are by Jean Charles De Castelbajac, who, according to another google search, has done quite a bit of kooky stuff, including that MIA shark dress.


I don't know what changed in me the moment I took a good long look at those shoes, but there has been a major shift in my fashion sensibilities.

I usually go through fashion phases, where there is a certain fashion meme I become interested in, and then for a while explore all the variations and permutations of the style. I wouldn't really call the trends, because they are more broad, things like Steampunk infulenced, 1920s influenced, were phases I've gone through.
I think I have been in the doldrums lately though, because there hasn't been much of an phase I've been in for a while.
I've been interested in a kind of mish-mash cloud of vintage fashion, but I haven't put a lot of effort into it.


But I think that this might be my new era.
Kitschy, bright colors, a kind of tacky-cool aethetic that doens't take itself to seriously.
1950s influenced but throughly modern.
Seafoam green, pink, neon yellow, royal blue, gold.
A bit of Japanese kawaii thrown in for good measure.

It's all just so.... tasty.



Click on the image to go to the flickr gallery I put together for inspiration.

YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment